Monday, July 30, 2018

Sweet Home Chicago

I was 26 when we moved to this area, with a little more than a year of marriage under my belt and a 15-month-old in tow. I still felt like such a baby, afraid of her own shadow. Scared of the booming thunderstorms, because we never experienced those in my area of California. Scared of living and experiencing life, of exploring an alien city. A big city, with a bad reputation. It was okay for the first year because I was still sheltered and we were living in a suburb in Indiana.

Then we moved to the city proper.

I cannot begin to tell you of the many things I was uncertain about. I was scared of the crowds and the buildings and just everything. I was scared in general because of anxiety and depression. I was stressed out all of the time because I wanted my home state, where I could hit the beach or go see family or just be around the familiar. I was so alone, trying to make a good marriage and raise a kid. It was overwhelming.

Slowly, slowly, I realized that I was only killing myself by being scared of everything, by not enjoying what this city was. Yes, Chicago has many many flaws, but what it has to offer is more than I could have ever hoped for.

I began to get involved with city life. We visited museums, we walked, we explored the vast array of neighborhoods. We mingled with the locals (to this day, I maintain that Chicagoans are some of the friendliest people in the world), we went to Cubs games (and befriended fellow fans). We tried new foods, things we'd never be able to try in California. I was hired for one of the best jobs I ever had and worked with some of the best people I had ever met. I renewed my passion for the arts, from going to the opera with my son to getting a membership to the Art Institute so I could bask in the glory of some of the greatest works of art ever (and snark on it, because that's just me).

We built a life here.

Our son grew up here.

East Hyde Park, Chicago. This neighborhood and all of the friendly familiar faces I know are a part of me, of us, now. This city is in our blood. It forced me to grow up and be independent and learn more than I have ever learned before. For eleven years, we have called Chicago home, and tomorrow I will no longer be able to say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment