Saturday, December 31, 2016

Goodbye 2016, You Piece Of Shit

It's not hyperbole to say that this year has been just utter trash for nearly everyone. I think the only winners in 2016 were Death and racists. Oh, and the Cubs! They fucking did it after 108 years, and I'm glad as shit that I went and experienced the mass of bodies at the parade and celebration. But I digress.

Tonight, I'm going to focus on what affected me this year and what I'm going to do next year if I live that long.

Health: My health has been shit. I started the year with good intentions, but was waylaid by a back injury that manifested into constant pain, physical therapy, and a prescription of pain pills. Then in October, I started having issues with my blood pressure (and I just fucked it up and gave myself a throbbing headache tonight by eating frozen stuffed nachos.....good job, me). My BP is still not all the way under control, and there are days when I feel like utter crap and my blood pressure is too high and I just feel like I'm going to die. I've had a stress test and an echocardiogram and all the blood tests done to see if something is wrong with my heart, but so far everything looks normal. Knock on wood. I'm supposed to have a Holter monitor in place for 48 hours to see if it shows any heart abnormalities, but I had to cancel that appointment because I now have a cold. Oy.

I've also spent damn near $800 on my teeth because my tooth decided to act up, and it was discovered that I was gritting my teeth in my sleep and cracking them. Ha, I can't imagine why I've been gritting my teeth. So. Work done to cover the cracks, a mouth guard, and a descaling of the backs of my bottom teeth because I hadn't been to a dentist in 9 years or so, and they were in a sad and decaying state. Yay.

My anxiety is still shit, I still stress myself out over every little thing, and I'm constantly on edge.

I want to say I'm going to change all of that and start taking care of me, but it's all a bunch of bullshit that will last like a week. Maybe try to get healthier, but I say that every year. Let's see if this is the year that self-care sticks.

Death: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. The Grim Reaper has been working overtime this year it seems, and even New Year's Eve didn't escape, because 35 (as of this writing) people were killed in a nightclub in Turkey, and we lost the dude that played Father Mulcahy on MASH. It was a fucking horror show, and while I must reiterate that I did not personally know these famous types that died, a lot of them were important to my growing up years. Holy shit, the Oscar memorial is going to be like ten hours long.

Then there is my dog. It still hurts. Shit, I couldn't even type that without getting weepy. I loved Tequila. I always will, and I hope he enjoyed the life he had with us, because we sure as shit enjoyed what he brought to our lives.

I can't also forget my friends who lost their own beloved companions. Ralphie and Daisy, I hope if there is an afterlife you are keeping Tequila company and causing all kinds of merry havoc.

And for anyone that is wondering, yeah, we'll probably get another dog. I just don't know when. It will happen when the time is right and the stars and planets align.

The US elections/politics: I can't with this bullshit. If we get through the next four years without nuclear war or making enemies of all our allies or not fucking shit up for the whole country, I'll be amazed. Not holding my breath though. Welcome to the first annual hunger games, amirite? Sigh.

It hasn't been all terrible, I guess. I'm here celebrating my 12th wedding anniversary with my husband. We're still together, which is amazing, because if I were my husband, I would have left my ass long ago. He loves me though. I love him too, even when he bugs the shit out of me.

I said it above, but the Cubs won the World Series! I just like repeating it because it is so damned surreal. I've been a fan for only a short period of time (10 years), but it is still magic to see it happen, especially for the poor souls who have been waiting for-fucking-ever.

I'm homeschooling my kid, which seems like it would be bad, but I think it is working out nicely for both of us. Sure, there are days when I get frustrated, but it has been nice watching him discover new things in the arts and in world history. He's discovered his Greek roots, learned to appreciate classical music (still hoping to take him to see "Die Zauberflöte"), and has figured out he can write really well when he wants to.

So there you have it. The shitshow of 2016 in my own words. The superstitious part of my brain is hoping that writing out all the bad crap will make 2017 magically better. The cynical part of me is like, "Yeah right, bitch."

Onwards, I guess. With weapons and armor. Only time will tell if those weapons and armor are metaphorical or literal.

No comments:

Post a Comment